Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Tracey Garvis Graves' island grooves...plus a book giveaway
Today we welcome Tracey Garvis Graves, author of the newly released USA Today, Wall Street Journal and New York Times bestseller, "On The Island." Tracey enjoys martinis, karaoke, 70s music and her dog Chloe. She currently lives in a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa with her husband and two children.
Thanks to Penguin we have five copies of "On The Island" to giveaway to some lucky readers anywhere in the US.
Visit Tracey at her website, Facebook and Twitter pages.
Favorite 80's song:
"Come on Eileen" or "Der Kommissar"
If we're talking 70s or 80s, it's definitely The Eagles. I referenced their song "Take It Easy" in "On the Island." I'm also a huge REO Speedwagon fan. For a more current selection I would go with The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Matchbox Twenty (the lead singer of Matchbox Twenty, Rob Thomas, also has a solo album called "Cradlesong" and a few of the songs are on the playlist I created for Covet, the book I'm writing now. It's on constant repeat in my car; my kids are so tired of it!).
What song are you proud to know all the lyrics to?
Grandmaster Flash's "The Message". My best friend Stacy and I memorized the lyrics in college. We still sing them sometimes. We look ridiculous.
Have you ever written music?
No, and I'm embarrassed to say I can't read it either.
Song that gets in your head the most:
Anything by Elton John. He's one of my all-time favorite singers and my iPod is filled with his songs.
First record you bought:
Shaun Cassiday's "Born Late" (oh hi, I'm old!).
Favorite "one hit wonder:"
David & David - "Welcome to the Boomtown" because it reminds me of my sophomore year of college.
Have you ever met a famous singer (rock star, opera, Broadway, etc.)?
Never! But my husband has a picture of himself with Corey Hart, the guy who sang "Sunglasses At Night". I'm so jealous.
Special thanks to Tracey for chatting with us and to Penguin for sharing "On the Island" with our readers.
Please comment below with your e-mail address. (Please note: Entries without an e-mail address will NOT be counted. You can use AT and DOT to avoid spam. Or provide a link to your facebook page or blog if you can receive messages there.)
Bonus entries (can be listed all in one post):
1. Please tell us: What is your favorite song by Elton John?
2. Follow this blog and post a comment saying you are a follower (if you already follow, that's fine too).
3. Post this contest on Facebook or Twitter or in your blog, and leave a comment saying where you've posted it.
4. Join Chick Lit Central on Facebook. Edit settings if you don't want to receive a lot of messages at your e-mail account. Please read our posting guidelines as well. (If you're already a member, let us know that too.)
5. Add a friend to our Facebook group. (Tell us who you added.) Be sure to remind them to edit their settings.
US only. Giveaway ends July 30th at midnight EST.