Introduction by Kathryn Hamilton
**Giveaway is now closed**
We want to welcome Andrea Lochen to CLC! She is here today to help us celebrate “Chick Lit at the Movies” by sharing her soundtrack for her debut novel The Repeat Year. Andrea is the kind of author we love at CLC because she is the girl next door who could easily be our pal; when she’s not teaching or writing, she enjoys baking, musicals/plays and reading. She has had an interest in writing since a young age and thankfully found the writing program while attending the University of Wisconsin. Andrea completed a draft of her novel during her time in the graduate program at the University of Michigan and even received the much coveted Hopwood Award (a prestigious scholarship). She currently lives in Milwaukee with her husband and their fur baby and teaches at the University of Wisconsin-Waukesha. You can connect with Andrea on her website and on Facebook. We hope that she will have repeat success!
Thanks to BookSparks PR, we have one copy of The Repeat Year for a lucky US reader!
(Please note that this post contains potential spoilers for the novel.)
The Repeat Year Movie Soundtrack
The Repeat Year is the story of Olive Watson, a young intensive care nurse who wakes up on New Year’s Day to find herself reliving the previous year. With this unique insight, she must navigate the prior year’s challenges and mistakes—lost patients, an affair that ended a committed relationship, the remarriage of her mother. Olive’s path intersects with Sherry Witan, a fifty-eight-year-old eccentric, who turns out to be an experienced “repeater” and an unlikely mentor with her own demons to face.
1) “This Will Be My Year” by Semisonic—This song seems like the anthem for everyone who has ever felt like New Year’s Eve has snuck up on them, and they’re not sure what they’ve accomplished with their year, and they desperately hope that things will be better in the new year. Olive can definitely relate to this feeling!
2) “If I Could Turn Back Time” by Cher—Towards the end of my novel, Olive hears this very apt song on the radio, in particular the lyrics, “If I could turn back time, if I could find a way, I'd take back those words that hurt you, and you'd stay.” In total exasperation because things are more challenging for her and her boyfriend, Phil, even with the time warp, she says aloud to the radio, “Oh, Cher, you make it sound so easy.”
3) “Back to December” by Taylor Swift—This is another song that expresses the regret of how things ended in a relationship and wishing for the opportunity to somehow relive it and make better choices. In The Repeat Year, Olive is actually granted this second chance.
4) “Don’t Let It Break Your Heart” by Coldplay—A song of encouragement in a way that only Coldplay can express it! When you’re facing challenges or are weary and frustrated, hang in there and persevere. This is one of the themes of The Repeat Year.
5) “Brighter than the Sun” by Colbie Caillat—This is the song that I envision playing during the movie trailer! I love its upbeat, summery feel, and how it celebrates the hopefulness and magic of falling in love.
Thanks to Andrea for sharing her book's soundtrack with us and to BookSparks PR for sharing The Repeat Year with our readers.
Please comment below with your e-mail address. (Please note: Entries without an e-mail address will NOT be counted. You can use AT and DOT to avoid spam. Or provide a link to your Facebook page or blog if you can receive messages there.)
1. Please tell us: What is your favorite movie about (or involving) time travel?
2. Follow this blog and post a comment saying you are a follower (if you already follow, that's fine too).
3. Post this contest on Facebook or Twitter or in your blog, and leave a comment saying where you've posted it.
4. Join Chick Lit Central on Facebook. Edit settings if you don't want to receive a lot of messages at your e-mail account. Please read our posting guidelines as well. (If you're already a member, let us know that too.)
5. Follow us on Twitter and/or Pinterest.
6. Add a friend to our Facebook group. (Tell us who you added.) Be sure to remind them to edit their settings.
US only. Giveaway ends May 20th at midnight EST.