Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Jillian Cantor is thankful...and she has a book to give away!
**Giveaway is now closed**
Jillian Cantor was born and raised in suburban Philadelphia and now lives in Arizona with her husband, two kids and four cats. She is the author of two young adult novels, as well as her first adult novel, "The Transformation of Things," which is now being sold in book stores. She also has a blog, in which she focuses on being positive and optimistic, even during challenging times.
Since Thanksgiving is right around the corner, we've decided to ask Jillian for what she is most thankful. We found her list to be very candid and entertaining and we hope you will agree once you read it too. She also has one signed copy of "The Transformation of Things" to give away to a lucky reader in the US or Canada.
1. My family: I feel so thankful for each one of my family members individually that they each deserve their own spot on this list. (But that also feels like cheating!). I know I’m incredibly lucky to have an amazing husband who is also my best friend, two sweet little boys, parents who always encouraged me to follow my dreams, and a sister who subjected me to years of torture as a kid (and thus good writing material now) but who has grown into one of my best friends.
2. The Internet: I live across the country from my extended family and a lot of my friends, so I am always thankful for things like e-mail, Facebook, and Flip video sharing which make it easy to keep in touch.
3. My laptop: Since I’m a writer, this one probably requires no explanation! But I used to only have a desktop, and I didn’t realize how freeing it was to be able to write anywhere, until I got my laptop about six months ago. Also, this makes it a lot easier to get work done/check e-mail while simultaneously doing things like making school lunches and doing laundry.
4. My agent: I am eternally thankful for my agent, Jessica Regel. Writing is such a tenuous and sometimes scary profession, that I am always so thankful to have her in my corner. Also, because she reads endless drafts of my work, replies to my endless e-mails, and always, always is super positive and brilliant in the process. Did I mention she’s awesome?
5. My cats: I’ve got four of them, so go ahead and call me a crazy cat lady! But I get lonely when I go away and don’t have anyone to curl up on my lap at night. Plus, they always keep me entertained with their endless mischief.
6. Books: This should probably also go without saying, but I feel I need to say it anyway. I’m thankful for books that gave me countless hours of entertainment as a child (and adult), and for always inspiring me to want to write.
7. Trader Joe's: I’m obsessed. When my husband and I were discussing cities we might want to move, my requirement was that there must be a Trader Joes nearby. They have the best food, and even their Fearless Flyer is entertaining to read!
Special thanks to Jillian Cantor for sharing her "thankful list" and offering the book for our giveaway.
How to win "The Transformation of Things":
Please comment below with your e-mail address.
(Please note: Entries without an e-mail address will NOT be counted. You can use AT and DOT to avoid spam. Or provide a link to your facebook page if you can receive messages there.)
1. Please tell us: If you had to move to a new town, what store or restaurant (or any other favorite hangout) would be a requirement in order for you to want to live there?
2. Please tell us: What keeps you positive or optimistic during times of stress?
3. Follow this blog and post a comment saying you are a follower (if you already follow, that's fine too).
4. Post this contest on Facebook or Twitter or in your blog, and leave a comment saying where you've posted it.
5. Join Chick Lit Central on Facebook. (If you're already a member, let us know that too.)
US/Canada only. Giveaway ends Monday, November 8th, at 6 pm EST.
Don't forget to check out Jillian Cantors's bucket list at Chick Lit is Not Dead, as well.