By Melissa Patafio
**Giveaway is now closed**
Micheline McAllister is the author of two novels: “Welcome to My Life” and “Love You, Love Your Work, Let’s Do Lunch”. Micheline grew up on the east coast and studied musical theater at university. She currently lives in Los Angeles where she is a writer and an animation artist. She is also known as Stephanie Olivieri in some professional circles. I was lucky enough to get a chance to interview Micheline to find out a little bit more about her as well as her writing. In addition, she is giving away two signed copies of "Welcome to My Life” to some lucky readers in the US and Canada.
1. How long did it take to get your first book “Welcome to My Life” published?
I entered into a contest through a print on demand publisher so it didn't take that long. Looking for a bigger more traditional publisher is proving to take a lot longer.
2. Do you always know how a story will end when you start a novel or does it change throughout the process?
No I never do. I am one of those writers that other writers hate, because I just go with it and see where the characters take me. They usually take me on their own journey once I get going, and it does change a lot during the process. That said, I do have a general idea where I want them to go when I start.
3. You grew up on the east coast and now live in L.A., what do you miss the most about the east?
This is a question with many answers, but I miss the weather the most. I am not a 'hot weather' kind of gal.
4. How did you celebrate when your first book was released?
I don't think that I did anything more than go out to dinner as I as busy working on a film that week. I know that is so uneventful and I would love to say I had a fabulous Hollywood release party, but it was more boring than that. Maybe next time.
5. You studied musical theater in college; do you ever participate in local productions in L.A.?
No I haven't done any acting since I started working in animation. Sometimes I go to a show and think 'I could play that role', but otherwise, it is in the past.
6. Where do you get the most writing done? Home, coffee shop?
I work both at home and in coffee shops, and carry a writing pad with me everywhere I go.
7. You have said that your heart is in New York, what is your favorite thing about New York and do you go back to visit often?
New York is my favorite thing about New York and if you have been there you would know what that means. It is just the craziness of the city, the fashion, the stores, walking down 5th avenue, the Upper West Side, the buildings, the noise, everything and sadly I don't get to visit that often.
8. Which of your books would you like to see made into a movie and why?
I think my second novel, Love You, Love Your Work, Let's Do Lunch would be great as a film. It is just written in a way that I believe would translate into film pretty easily and is a straight up situation comedy. I see either Drew Barrymore or Kate Winslet as the lead! My first book, Welcome to My Life could be a TV series and there have been talks with studios, but nothing yet.
9. You are currently working on your fourth novel, are you having any challenges with it and can we expect to see it in stores any time soon?
I have completed my third and fourth novels and haven't had any real challenges with the writing part. I am looking for a new agent and then we will be looking for the right publisher together. I don't have a release date for either.
10. On your blog you recently wrote a blog about how much you love Joan Holloway (Harris) from AMC’s “Mad Men”, what is it that you love about her?
I love the way the character is written and I believe she is a strong woman living in a time where a woman's role in the workplace was a lot different than it is today and from an artist's point of view. I just love her look and the way they style her. I also love that a curvy woman is called beautiful and is a sex symbol on that show instead of the normally anorexic types that reign in television today.
Special thanks to Micheline for a great interview and for offering to give away copies of her first book.
How to win “Welcome to My Life”:
Please comment below with your e-mail address.
(Please note: Entries without an e-mail address will NOT be counted.)
For additional entries (each as a separate comment including your e-mail address, as well):
1. Please tell us: What is your favorite animated movie?
2. Follow this blog and post a comment saying you are a follower (if you already follow, that's fine too).
3. Post this contest on Facebook or Twitter or in your blog, and leave a comment saying where you've posted it.
4. Join Chick Lit Central on Facebook. (If you're already a member, let us know that too.)
US/Canada only. Giveaway ends Friday, August 20th at 8:00 am EST.